Honorary Members of the Philharmonic-Symphony Society

The New York Philharmonic (officially named the Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York) confers Honorary Membership in the Society on those who have made outstanding contributions to the world of symphonic music or an unprecedented impact on the life of the Orchestra. It is bestowed only on rare occasions and only with the unanimous approval of the Board of Directors.

View Honorary Members (.pdf)

Orchestra Homes

The concert halls of both the New York Philharmonic and the New York Symphony (the two organizations merged in 1928 to form today’s Philharmonic-Symphony) followed New York City's steady expansion northward. Beginning just south of Canal Street on lower Broadway and continuing to its current home located at the corner of Broadway and 65th Street, the various homes of the Philharmonic reflect the moving cultural center of the city. The appearance, at times, that the Orchestra had multiple different homes in a single season is due to the fact that it there were multiple subscription series at different locations in the city.

Orchestra Homes (.pdf)

Presidents & Chairmen

For the first 25 years the New York Philharmonic, organized as a cooperative society, was managed by the musicians themselves. From 1865 to 1909, the musicians chose a president who was not a member of the orchestra but rather a distinguished, music-loving member of New York society and great supporter of the Philharmonic. In 1909, the cooperative system was replaced by a Board of Directors which at first included musicians from the Orchestra. At this point the players became contracted workers of the society.

Presidents & Chairmen (.pdf)

Musical Milestones

The following list of key dates is not comprehensive and is highly subjective compiled by the Philharmonic archivists. If you have a favorite date in the history of the New York Philharmonic, pleased send us an email and we’ll consider adding it to the Milestone list.

Musical Milestones (.pdf)